Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Day One

alright, so i slept well last night, have been in the same position on the couch for the past 12 hours, besides bathroom runs and trying to do a little bit more. the nerve block has definitely worn off, and i can feel definite pain around where the suture should be. i'm beginning to realize that physical therapy will not be fun, even a little movement that hits the tendon is a terrible shock of pain. Around the time that i'm supposed to take my next dose of percocet, i start feeling bone aches and throbbing. if i lift my leg up by myself, it hurts a lot so i have to lift it with my arms.. just giving everyone an update of how things are - not trying to complain!

Called the nurse today to see what they did exactly in the surgery in order to make the groove, and she went to ask Dr. Lehman, all he said was that he removed a nodule, and did groove reconstruction. didn't get us much further than what we already knew, but i guess i'll figure it out on the 21st!

That's about it for now, i'm trying to stay up and get up as few times as possible so it doesn't hurt as bad, the only way i can describe it is like a screw being inside the skin, which is making the skin rub against the splint. that's the best description i can give you, I'm guessing it's swollen and that's why it's rubbing against the splint. we tried to put some ice on it, but the splint makes it so the cold does not get to my ankle.. no fun! And as for crutches, i'm getting along. have a bruise on my left arm from using them - but I bruise easily so it'll go away soon!

Marcye, Vince, Alex, Tyler, and Andrew came to visit today, and momma brought me flowers :) I've taken a few cat naps, and tried to lay in my bed and sleep, but wasn't nearly as comfortable as I am in the living room with my "bed" i set up at night.

once again, Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Gary from Woodland Park, CO said...

My name is Gary. I am recovering from surgery on my left foot where I suffered from a Peroneal tendon accident. I am no stranger to surgeries as I've had ACL of the right knee reconstructed (2005) surgery to clean up my right shoulder (ie; bone spur, torn bicept, and some other messy items in 2009). Two level lumbar spinal fusion (November 2010). Shattered left distal radius requiring 7 screws , and a plate (September 2011), and now this surgery to clean up the peroneal tendons in my left foot. This is day 5 of recovery, and all I can say is "thank God" for pain meds, AND an adjustable base Temperpedic bed where the foot raises to elevate my leg(s) higher than my heart cutting down on the "throb", and some of the pain. I'm no stranger to crutches, but I've got to tell you.... rent yourself one of the kneeling type scooter instead of using cruthces. Waaaay better, and it allows you to keep your leg/foot somewhat elevated cutting down on the throbbing pain from all the blood rushing to your foot. My tendons were not torn, but some bone chips were present, and alot of scar tissue, so my Ortho foot/ankle surgeon said he ended up doing alot of work he hadn't planned on doing, so recovery will be a bit longer??? I tried all the conservative approaches before we (Dr., and I) decided to go in, and clean it up. My injury happened while doing a cool down walk on a treadmill. I "felt" this intense "POP", extreme burning sensation, and could hardly weight bear. That was November 21st 2011, and finally the surgery April 6th. Wrappd foot, and leg with plaster splint until the swelling goes down, then a cast for ??? long, then walking boot. I feel your pain! Remember.... chuck the cruthes, and check into a kneeling scooter, and ask your Dr. for a temporary handicap card for your vehicle. Usually good for 90 days